The NRHEG wrestling team lost twice in a home triangular Thursday, Jan. 5 at New Richland, 60-18 to Maple River and 68-8 to Kenyon-Wanamingo.
Winners for the Panthers in the Maple River meet were Andrew Reich at 106 pounds, Tyler Jacobson at 152 and Cole Staloch at 160, all by fall.
Brett Kubiatowicz, 126, and Carter Hagen, 220, posted victories against Kenyon-Wanamingo.
“With the scores the other teams are putting up on us it is hard to believe that we are getting better,” said Panthers coach Shawn Larson. “As the coach of this team I am noticing changes in the right direction. We are very young, and when you are very young you make mistakes. This is the part that looks bad in the box scores. I am looking at kids who are making mistakes, but they are learning from those mistakes and soon enough I believe they will find ways to wrestle full matches and even start winning some of the matches in which the score is close. Of course it is not easy being on the losing end of scores like these, but the sun will come out tomorrow and we will keep battling and getting better.”
Individually, Larson said Reich wrestled well against Maple River, and Brendon Strand wrestled tough despite falling by decision at 145
“Against Kenyon-Wanamingo we had good winning efforts from Brett Kubiatowicz and Carter Hagen,” said Larson.
The Panthers face United South Central at home Thursday, Jan. 12.
Maple River 60, NRHEG 18
1. (106 lbs.) Andrew Reich of NRHEG pinned Ethan Evenson of Maple River in 5 minutes and 26 seconds.
2. (113 lbs.) Trevor Pearson of Maple River pinned Andrew Bailey of NRHEG in 52 seconds.
3. (120 lbs.) Reise Hanson of Maple River pinned Austin Hill of NRHEG in 1 minute and 01 second.
4. (126 lbs.) Cody Walters of Maple River beat Brett Kubiatowicz of NRHEG 3-0 (Decision).
5. (132 lbs.) Wyatt Simon of Maple River pinned Nick Staloch of NRHEG in 37 seconds.
6. (138 lbs.) Lincoln Arndt of Maple River pinned Agro Gushwa of NRHEG in 3 minutes and 34 seconds.
7. (145 lbs.) Jared Latusek of Maple River beat Brendon Strand of NRHEG 10-6 (Decision).
8. (152 lbs.) Tyler Jacobson of NRHEG pinned Bryan Garlow of Maple River in 3 minutes and 40 seconds.
9. (160 lbs.) Cole Staloch of NRHEG pinned Jared Moore of Maple River in 4 minutes and 29 seconds.
10. (170 lbs.) Dustyn Schmidt of Maple River pinned Miguel Martinez of NRHEG in 1 minute and 59 seconds.
11. (182 lbs.) Thayne Decker of Maple River won by forfeit.
12. (195 lbs.) Noah Decker of Maple River pinned Alex Buckmeier of NRHEG in 1 minute and 52 seconds.
13. (220 lbs.) Ethan Caven of Maple River pinned Carter Hagen of NRHEG in 3 minutes and 24 seconds.
14. (285 lbs.) Connor Thorn of Maple River pinned Quinten Arndt of NRHEG in 2 minutes and 59 seconds.
Kenyon-Wanamingo 68, NRHEG 8
1. (106 lbs.) Alec Johnson of Kenyon-Wanamingo pinned Andrew Reich of NRHEG in 36 seconds.
2. (113 lbs.) Bray Olson of Kenyon-Wanamingo pinned Andrew Bailey of NRHEG in 1 minute and 40 seconds.
3. (120 lbs.) Jeron Matson of Kenyon-Wnnamingo pinned Austin Hill of NRHEG in 26 seconds.
4. (126 lbs.) Brett Kubiatowicz of NRHEG beat Tyler Craig of Kenyon-Wanamingo 6-3 (Decision).
5. (132 lbs.) Bradley Kish of Kenyon-Wanamingo won by forfeit.
6. (138 lbs.) Seth Brossard of Kenyon-Wanamingo pinned Agro Gushwa of NRHEG in 3 minutes and 29 seconds.
7. (145 lbs.) Jaeden Sokoloski of Kenyon-Wanamingo beat Tyler Jacobson of NRHEG 15-0 (Technical Fall).
8. (152 lbs.) Tyler Ryan of Kenyon-Wanamingo pinned Cole Staloch of NRHEG in 4 minutes and 19 seconds. Deduction of 1 team point from NRHEG for unsportsmanlike conduct.
9. (160 lbs.) Dylan Craig of Kenyon-Wanamingo won by forfeit.
10. (170 lbs.) Matthew Houglum of Kenyon-Wanamingo pinned Miguel Martinez of NRHEG in 1 minute and 16 seconds.
11. (182 lbs.) Peyton Hilke of Kenyon-Wanamingo won by forfeit.
12. (195 lbs.) Logan Quam of Kenyon-Wanamingo pinned Alex Buckmeier of NRHEG in 1 minute and 07 seconds.
13. (220 lbs.) Carter Hagen of NRHEG pinned Clay Stevenson of Kenyon-Wanamingo in 3 minutes and 09 seconds.
14. (285 lbs.) Jesse Jackson of Kenyon-Wanamingo beat Quinten Arndt of NRHEG 10-3 (Decision).