Most of you are aware of the theory of “Best of the Bunch.” This can be determined by voting, whether it be for members of the 2014 All-Star Baseball Game or the Albert Lea Tribune Readers’ Choice Awards. The problem is, the result can be swayed by stuffing the ballot box, by one person voting numerous times, or by a group of people all agreeing to vote the same way.
The following is a survey of the 2014 Best of the Bunch in NRHEG Land. This survey was done by one old Norwegian. There being only one person deciding, the ballot box could not be stuffed. The results could be determined by bribery, but they weren’t, as I declined all bribes.
The survey says:
• Best School District: NRHEG
• Best Town Not on the Level: Ellendale
• Best Golf Course: Riverview
• Best Pharmacy: New Richland Drug
• Best Body Shop: Al’s
• Best Noisiest Door: Ellendale Café
• Best Small Town Under 500 Population: Tie between Geneva and Hartland
• Best (Hottest) Water in a Men’s Room: New Richland One Stop
• Best Café for Sale: Hartland Café
• Best Agricultural Structural Builders: Broskoff Structures
• Best Lake Without Lifeguards: Beaver Lake
• Best Bakery: Nancy Jane’s
• Best Blue House: on Highway 30 in New Richland
• Best Outside Saturday Night Entertainment: Ellendale
• Best On the Spot Appliance Service: Orrin Mortensen
• Best Buyer of Scrap Iron: Pooley’s
• Best Second-Hand Store: Lady Bug Consignment Shop
• Best Place to Buy Carpeting: Groth (Floors 4-U)
• Best Place to Buy Appliances: Sorenson’s Appliance & TV
• Best Landscaping: Sequoia Landscaping
• Best Home Contractor: Arlen Brekke
• Best Retired Electrician: Andy Mucha
• Best Newspaper: NRHEG Star Eagle
• Best Audubon Humorist: Al Batt
• Best Agronomist: Mark Bernard
• Best User of Non-Norwegian Words: Mark Domeier
• Best Keeper-Track of Birthdays and Anniversaries: Kathy Paulsen
• Best Worst Teller of the Truth: Bob Hanson
• Best Auctioneer: Tracy Holland
• Best Dental: Main Street Dental
• Best Waste Disposal Service: Thompson Sanitation
• Best Rebuilder of Boats: Bakken’s Boat Shop
• Best Sales and Service of Docks and Boat Lifts: Tom McCrady
• Best Reader of this column: YOU!
P.S.: If you want to be in the 2015 survey, bribes will be accepted.
Bob is a retired AAL (Aid Association for Lutherans) agent, currently working on his master’s degree in Volunteering. His wife, Genie, is a retired RN, currently working on her doctor’s degree in Volunteering. They have two children, Deb in North Carolina, and Dan in Vermont. Bob says if you enjoy his column, let him know. If you don’t enjoy it, keep on reading, it can get worse. Words of wisdom: There is always room for God.