School days, school days, dear old golden rule days. Have times changed so much or have we? My mother just celebrated the 70th anniversary of graduating from high school. She said she didn’t feel old until she realized how many years had gone by.
She started school with District 133 and 96, which was the County Line School, when she was 5 years old because there were so few children in school. Her birthday is the 31st of August, which I am guessing was close to the line in determining when to start school.
Schools back then were typically one room, with a big cast iron heater and long windows that ran vertically. The children used slates, or mini-blackboards, a big change from the i-Pads they use today. Paper wasn’t as plentiful and very costly back then.
The schools were “integrated” because they had 5- year-olds to 8th-graders all in one room and they all listened to the studies of the different levels, as well as their own.
Not only did they print, they learned cursive, something felt obsolete now because so much of what we have is typed.
I was surprised to see my niece writing cursive. Her mother thought it was important for her to learn it, so her mother has been teaching it to her. I too, think it is important, though who can read the signatures of a doctor, dentist, or gentlemen of prestige like lawyers, judges or president?
It is interesting to have our little ones show us how to run an i-Pad or any other technical machine we have today.
In my day we would have to seek out the answers to many of our questions by going to the encyclopedia or “world books” as they were called. Today, our children or grandchildren go to the computer and the knowledge they can learn is endless.
Just about the time l learn how to use something on the computer they come out with a new model that takes different learning.
In some regards computers are wonderful, but we still have to learn how to use them, which can be difficult at times.
— — —
Some of our Star Eagle readers have commented that they like to read about events such as family and school reunions, birthdays and anniversaries, and birth and wedding announcements. In order to read about these important things we need our faithful readers to pass along the information to us.
Also, if you know of an event that is upcoming or have an idea for a story that you think would be of interest to our readers, please contact me.
There are times I make mistakes regarding birthdays and anniversaries because of information I don’t know. Please look at it as a reminder that though they may no longer be with us it is nice to remember they once were and celebrate their birthdays and anniversaries just the same.
Birthdays and anniversaries:
• Thursday, September 1st: Byron Norell, Jim Motz, Payton Thomspon, Daryl Nelson, Jody Farr, Catherine Carlson, Gregory Ray, Dianna & Matthew Beckman, Adam & Lalya Lang, Jim & Marian Motz
• Friday, September 2nd: Krista Paulsen, Brent Broulik, Barb Grunwald, Dean Richards, Logan Callahan, Peyton Moore Ayers, Randy & Barb Horan, Christine & Tom Krause, Amy & Jeff Conley
• Saturday, September 3rd: Marie Carroll, Lori Ingvaldson, Joanne & Mitch Wayne, Dick & Paulette Nelson, Tatum Wilson
• Sunday, September 4th: Kaila Christine Johnson, her first; Cody Blouin, Marc Vanden Heuvel, Melissa Wayne, Erin Dobberstein, Daniel Pitcock, Holly Wangsness Dau, Rachel Arends, Melody & Tim Gassnman
• Monday, September 5th: Beckett Dane Rasmussen, Sydney Marie Schmidt, Jennifer Broskoff Dutton, Bruce Langlie, Beth Ann Suelter, Darren Hanson, Stacy Evenson, Grace Lorraine Kofstad, Rande Nelson, Dennis & Mary Jensen, Chuck and L’myra Hoogland, Brian & Angie Dobberstein
• Tuesday, September 6th: LeAnn Hjoberg, Cindy Sloan Scheevel, Jackson Kilian, Tina Thostenson, Luke Trumble
• Wednesday, September 7th: Tanner Ryan Green, Caleb Wacek, Janice Nelson, Charles Phagan, Allen Wacek, Jennifeer & Jed Popiel, Summer & Wayne Schultz, Erik & Gina Cooper, Brant & Rhiannon Boerner
• Thursday, September 8th: Pastor Joel Xavier, Natalie Aaseth, Cindy Loberg Smolinski, Anna Lois Erickson, Brittani Hagen, Karen Briggs, Kelly Hagen, Amy Johnson Svoboda, Jennifer Johnson Popiel, Jimmie Olson Jr., Jamie Thompson, Brenda Dokken, Bob & Karen Vaith, Brain & Jody Wayne, Jessica & Jay Eidem
• Friday, September 9th: Eva Lauren Wayne, Charlie Pence, Paul Aronson, Bruce Cerney, Corey Haddy, Steve Hanson, Roger Herbst, Jim & Mary Brocker, Randy & Deb Parks, Spencer & Suzanne Wayne
• Saturday, September 10th: Taya RaeAnn Lembke, Emily Crabtree, Caden Jensen, Curtis Blouin, Craig Blouin, Pauline Fetterly, Steve Granowski, Kathy Knudson, Sally Utpadel Waknitz, Connie Kruesemark, James Ian Furness, Charlie & Diane Marlin
• Sunday, September 11th: Geoffrey Stieglbauer, Andy Arends, Dawn Misgen Meier, Craig Torgerson, Annabella Sevcik, Matthew Mueller, Kathy Nelson, Mark Calverly, Paul & Jo Otto, Steve & Mary Bailey, Leanna & Jared Peterson, Tim & Angie Butler, Brian & Jodi Wayne, and Rich & Linda Weckwerth
Wishing you a day of joy...and a year of happiness.