June has arrived, the school bells have stopped ringing for most of the area children, and before we know it many of the summer activities will get underway. Already we are seeing many people out running and walking along the city streets and by-ways, as well as pushing the wee ones in strollers. Many of the local kids have been out riding their bikes and playing in the city parks.
The Geneva Pool will open Monday, June 8 and many of the area youngsters will be taking swimming lessons and enjoying the cool waters when the temperatures get hot. As the temperatuers continue to rise, people will be spending as much time as they can at their cabins on the lake, while others are busy making plans for camping trips or their summer vacations.
Already many local people are visiting the golf courses, swinging their golf clubs. Many people, both young and old alike, will be involved with the large number of summer softball and baseball leagues. Others will be getting their tickets bought for Minnesota Twins baseball.
Many others enjoy being able to jump on their horses and enjoying the great outdoors. And we can't forget those who enjoy their 4-wheelers or motorcycles and take short trips here and there, enjoying seeing the countryside. Other people in our area enjoy the opportunity to get back outside and spend time in their gardens and flower beds, and believe it or not, some people really enjoy getting on their lawn mowers.
And we can't forget those who enjoy grilling out and going on family picnics or to family reunions, so they can get caught up on what is happening in their extentend families.
With summer upon us it just seems only natural that we should keep a large number of the foods we enjoy in the refrigerator. Surprisingly, refrigerating some foods can actually make them spoil faster.
Some foods that come to mind include...Tomatoes...Some people like them nice and cold, right out of the refrigerator. I like them cold, but my mother on the other hand doesn't. Tomatoes become mushy and actually lose some of their flavor when refrigerated.
Apples...Here too, apples lose their texture and flavor when you refrigerate them. I like to place my apples in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or so before I plan on eating them, so they are nice and crisp.
Bananas...Definetly should not be kept in the refrigerator. Putting bananas in the refrigerator can disrupt the ripening process. Once they are refrigerated they may never be able to resume the ripening process even if they are returned to room temperature.
Avacados....Much like the bananas, placing them in the refrigerator shuts down the ripening enzymes.
Onions...I guess it depends on your taste buds. If you love soggy onions while also causing the rest of your food to taste and smell like onions, you will want to keep them in the refrigerator. Otherwise, store them in a paper bag, in a cool dark place for maximum shelf life.
Sweet potatoes....If they are exposed to cold temperatures, the starches found in them turn to sugar, and as a result it disrupts their texture and flavor, as well as increases their sugar content. If you are unlike most of us and prefer tasteless potatoes that can cause weight gain, by all means, keep them in the refrigerator until you are ready to prepare them, otherwise keep them in a dry place until you are ready to prepare them.
Coffee....Some people feel it is best to keep coffee in the refrigerator, while others wouldn't think of putting it the refrigerator. Coffee is best stored at room temperature. Leaving coffee at room temperature allows the natural oils within the coffee beans to activate its pungent aromatic scent. Some people believe coffee stored in the refrigerator absorbs odors from other foods in your refrigerator. There are many different flavors of coffee available now, but I don't think that "onion" would be one of them.
I hope that everyone is able to have a most enjoyable summer and can enjoy many of the those great foods they raise in their gardens or find at farmers markets and local grocery stores this time of the year.
Some of our Star Eagle readers have commented they like to read about events such as family and school reunions, birthdays and anniversaries, and birth and wedding announcements. In order to read about these important things we need our faithful readers to pass along the information to us. Also if you have an idea for a story that you think would be of interest to our readers, please contact me.
Birthdays and anniversaries:
• Thursday, June 4th: Dale Miller, Becky Nordland, Jim Borchert, Judith Severson, Warren Nelson, Jamie & Tina Hagen, Art & Doris DeNeui, Jan & Andrew Bernau, their 8th
• Friday, June 5th: Marcia Vermedahl, Shawn Johnson, Paul Krull, David Reistad, Mike Rossing, Lisa Jensen Nord, Jack Butler, Greg Oswald, Michael Schmidt, Ron & Jolee Johnson, Stacy (Osmundson) & Trevor Titus, Erica (Van Kampen) & Jacob McClaskay, Elzo & Joy Peterson
• Saturday, June 6th: Steve & Kari Vanden Heuvel, Stacy & Shannon Wobschall, Dean & Roberta Lembke, Hope Kilian, Eric Sorenson, Cheryl Louks, Steve Lonning, Todd Born, Owen James Wheeler, Blake Rolland Baudoin, Isiah DuBois
• Sunday, June 7th: Chris Blouin, Daniel Eliason, Jesse Langlie, Roger Sommers, Faye Thompson, Paul Stollard, Trisha (Gross) Gilbertson, Brandon Gross, Katie & Kevin Knudson, Holly & Jake Dau, Richard & Karen Holmes, Irvin & Joan Diderrich, Jeff & Lynne Draayer, Jim & Joanne Pichner
• Monday, June 8th: Deb Wallace, Steve Hagen, Owen Ryan Krueger, Monty Miller, Sandi Meyer, Rodney Wayne, Steve Lembke, Morgan Hutchinson, Michelle & Damon Gowlland
• Tuesday, June 9th: Torsten & Melissa Wayne, Rhonda (Lund) & Troy Thevenot, LeRoy & Gladys Peterson, Lexi Wayne, Ahinka Jensen, Sharon Lageson, Bennett Ver Hey, Carrie Paulson, Karen Swearingen Cox, Dana Waltz, Greg Smith, Tait Ingvaldson
• Wednesday, June 10th: Arnold Lund, his 95th; Warren Wayne, Samantha Mae Schumacher, Kathy Allard, David Ellis, Chuck Groth, Jamie Weller, Margaret Reese, Forest Peterson, Adam Wacek, London Avery, Sarah (Cornelius) & Rob Routh, Marv & Pat Schulz, Missy (Lonning) & Paul Richards
Wishing you quiet moments of beauty on your special day!